4 March 2013

Yo no sé por qué te quiero - beauty in simplicity

Drawing music is both fun and useful. It always makes me see something I didn't notice - or didn't know I had noticed. So this weekend, I made a drawing of a tango I love a lot: Yo no sé por qué te quiero. It was written in 1934 by Francisco Canaro; with lyrics by Ivo Pelay. My favourite version is Canaro's own recording, canta Ernesto Famá 1934.

You can listen to it here: archive.org and YouTube. The links are to the same recording - I hope that at least one of them works if you live in a country that restricts online listening. The links open in another tab so you can listen and look at the same time. 

I'm fascinated with how Canaro builds his composition out of one, very small idea. Basically, most of this tango consists of one tiny structure:  ╱╲

Here are the two parts - A and B section.







This is by no means a full musical analysis - and it's not meant to be - but we can still see how Canaro builds a whole story with his small fragment. I especially like the way he's changing the mood from the A section to the B section. He uses the same idea, but breaks up the structure, adding suspense.

If you leave a comment, I'm very much interested to hear if this did make sense or not - and if you are familiar with music notation / have done this kind of thing before.


Additional links:

- Francisco's younger brother Rafael recorded a quite beautiful version a couple of years after.

- Lyrics and version by José Carnet / Nelly Omar on Todotango